Mold can be a serious problem. It will not only make your home uninhabitable, but it could also cause health problems for you and your family. If you think there may be mold in your house, how do you confirm its presence? And how can you know if the presence is harmful? In this blog post, we will look at 8 ways to tell if there may be mold in your house as well as how to get rid of it!
Signs You Have Mold in Your House
- A musty smell that won’t go away. No matter how well you clean or the room perfumes you use, this keeps lingering. It might even get worse when your air conditioning is turned on.
- Black or dark spots on various surfaces of your home. This can look dry or slimy. Keep in mind that it won’t always be perfectly black. In many cases, mold is a dark green or even a brown.
- Fuzz growing on surfaces or near windows. This mold is likely easy to address but still is a concern.
- Spots appearing on walls and ceiling that may look like watermarks. Whether these are actual watermarks or mold growth, you’ll need help as excess moisture almost always means mold growth.
- Bubbling wallpaper. This often indicates excess moisture behind the paper or in the wall, which means mold is lurking.
- Water pooling around the foundation of your house. If you notice water collecting, there is likely an issue with how well your gutters are working or how much rainwater they’re allowing into the basement. Either way, this can lead to mold growth in damp conditions, which will need to be addressed by a professional team of experts!
- A musty smell coming from under sinks and cabinets where appliances like refrigerators may be located. It’s possible that these smells could come from food gone bad so keep an eye out for other signs before assuming it’s mold – especially if the appliance isn’t even turned on!
- Sagging floors or ceilings. While not always related to mold problems specifically, this could be a sign of moisture damage so it’s best to get an expert in your home to check things out.
What to Do if You Notice Signs of Mold in the Home
If you notice any of these signs, how do you know if there’s really mold in your house? The only way to be sure is to have an Atlanta mold inspection expert come and test. While this costs more than going DIY, it is the only reliable method.
If you are in the Atlanta area, Mold-B-Gone is the mold remediation service to turn to. For more information or to schedule our mold cleaning services in Atlanta, contact us today.
For more on this topic, read: How Do I Know if Mold Is Growing in My Basement?