Amie Skilton from Australia was 37 years old when she moved into an apartment with her now-husband. She was perfectly healthy: she traveled around the country giving keynote speeches, did “fun runs”, and worked as a naturopath and nutritionist.
Then she started to get sick. She noticed allergy symptoms, she gained over 20 pounds, and she started getting chronic fatigue. Amie even started to forget her own name.
Shaken and puzzled, her now-husband took her to the doctor’s office, where they performed a battery of tests. All the tests came back fine, stunning the doctors.
She was referred to a neurologist who later diagnosed her with Type III Alzheimer’s. Type III Alzheimer’s disease is also known as inhalational Alzheimer’s and is caused by airborne toxins.
Amie had a mold expert check her home and found that the underside of the carpet was lined with black mold. This mold grew after a pipe leaked and soaked the carpet, and Amie didn’t know about it until she was already sick. Luckily, after moving out of the apartment, her brain function returned to normal. But who knows what could have happened to Amie if it had gone unchecked?
Today, Amie is a qualified mold testing technician in her native Australia who educates others about the dangers of mold.
Toxic black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, grows in wet conditions under the carpet, drywall, and flooring. They produce highly poisonous spores that can cause respiratory illness and fatigue. But not everyone is affected equally.
In Amie’s case, her genetic predisposition caused a severe reaction to mold spores. Just as some people are intolerant to lactose or gluten, some people are strongly affected by toxic mold spores. Most people won’t know until it’s too late.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The best way to deal with black mold in the home is to prevent it from growing in the first place. Water damage is usually the cause, and it’s best to call a specialist immediately if a leak is ever found.
Another cause of mold growth is a high level of humidity in the home. Ensure adequate ventilation to prevent mold growth. Keep humidity levels between 30% and 50% in the home, and check your humidity levels with a meter. A single room might be more humid than others; if that’s the case, a dehumidifier can help. If you’re having persistent issues with humidity in your home, call an HVAC specialist.
The truth about black mold is that once it’s found in a home, it needs to be removed by a professional. Professional mold remediation experts have the tools necessary to remove black mold and prevent it from causing further health issues. Otherwise, it’s best to move to a clean home if you find black mold.
25% of the human population has a genetic predisposition to mold-related illness, and most people don’t know it. Don’t take the chance: keep your family safe with mold remediation by Mold-B-Gone.
Mold-B-Gone is the premier mold remediation company in Atlanta, specializing in whole-house mold removal. We clear mold caused by water damage and humidity. 100% of our client’s homes have passed a mold inspection after working with us. Best of all, we offer a 5-year written guarantee on all mold removal services.
Speak to a mold removal expert today; call 470-545-4467 and enjoy peace of mind knowing your family is safe.
Read Amie Skilton’s full New York Post story here.